Rwanda is actively working to grow its tourism sector in as sustainable a way as possible and the efforts are succeeding. RwandAir’s fleet is expanding and new flights and airlines are coming.
- RwandAir adds second B737-800 to its fleet, which will provide service to Johannesburg, Dubai and Lagos. With the planned 2015 opening of the new Bugesera International Airport south of Kigali, Rwanda is becoming well positioned to be a major transportation hub for Eastern and Central Africa.
- Turkish Airlines announced that they will launch a direct route from Istanbul to Kigali in April 2012. Kigali is their 18th destination city in Africa. A code-sharing agreement between Turkish Airlines and RwandAir will increase access even further. Turkish Airlines is a member of the Star Alliance, which includes Lufthansa and United Airlines.
- KLM launched service to Kigali via Amsterdam less than a year ago and now offers daily service via KLM and KLM/Kenya Airways.
- Ethiopian Airlines offers weekly service from London Heathrow via Addis Ababa.
- SN Brussels Airlines flies from Gatwick and Brussels to Kigali four times a week.