The Government of the Northern Territory in Australia has just launched the development of a new tourism strategy for the State. The new Five Year Tourism Strategic Plan is expected to be implemented starting in early 2013.
According to the Government, the strategic plan will:
• Articulate our vision for where the Northern Territory should be positioned by 2020 (e.g. visitor numbers, dispersal of visitors to regional areas, visitor experiences, job creation, community and social benefits, return to the economy and our competitive positioning);
• Examine what is needed to realise that vision;
• Provide pathways to reach our potential, highlighting critical areas that require significant change, monitoring or ongoing support;
• Identify impediments to achieving the vision and define the solutions; and,
• Confirm our tourism infrastructure and development priorities and marketing required to support the vision for the tourism industry.
They are planning on the following timeline: